Sunday, July 5, 2009

Week 15... I think

Based on Elizabeth's calculations, I am assuming this is week 15. I don't know when y'all like to start your training week, but I usually assume Monday and I generally save my long runs for Friday or Saturday morning. My 10 mile plan for last Friday didn't come to fruition - a long involved story involving minor construction at my house, new breaks for the car, etc, etc... but I did find a flat, albeit dull, route that will do for long distances. I think I did about 6 miles on Saturday and will save the 10 miles for my long run this week.

So,this week I intend to get in 2 regular 5 mile runs, 1 long (10 mile) run, 1 hill work-out and 1 speed workout (probably 3 - 4 miles each). So, hopefully I'll get in about 26+ miles.

I definitely appreciated Elizabeth's treadmill/speed suggestions. I was utterly disappointed when I ran to the track this week with a "need for speed" only to find that it was closed until November. Clearly, I've been taking the track, which is only about 1/2 mile from my house, for granted. There are so many hills in my neighborhood, I really don't want to try to combine hills with speed! So, I will try to hit the gym for speed this week. Hopefully I can get into the habit before all those students return to campus!

I'm also trying to incorporate sit-ups/ arm work... but I generally talk myself out of that by the time I get home from my runs! However, since this is all about accountability - I intend to do both activities at least twice and I will report back next week about whether or not I followed through!

Good luck this week!

1 comment:

  1. My training group has us do the core/ab work immediately after our runs. They say something about your core is what will keep you up when you get tired during the marathon so you need to get used to starting an ab workout when you are already tired. Not sure if it is true, but when I do abs when I am not tired, I find it so much easier and am able to do more.

    Friday I did not run 8 miles. I ended up doing 7 since the route we were planning on running was partially blocked off due to July 4th festivities. By the time we got back to our car we had done just over 7 and instead of running past our cars for the extra half mile, we stopped.

    It is about accountability and I want you to know we were slackers. I think that only marathon runners can say "I ran 7 miles, but I am still a slacker since I did not finish my run."

    As for the schedule, I run 3 times a week and do spinning twice. One long run, one tempo run and one either speed or hill. Distances for tempo and speed/hill will range from 3 miles to 8 miles. This week the speed is 12 minutes (3 times of 4 min fast, 4 min recovery) + 10 minute warm up run and 10 minute cool down. Last week I think I ended up running around 4 miles for the speed work.

    ReplyDelete